Living the Gospel Paradox(ology)
One Path Online Retreat
Date: 19-21 June 2020 (Fri 8.30am – Sun 12.00pm)
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. (Matthew 16:25)
In the Bible, such paradoxes abound. It is the poor he makes rich, the weak he makes strong, the foolish he makes wise, the guilty he makes righteous, the dirty he makes clean, the lonely he loves, the worthless he values, the lost he finds, the have-nots who stunningly become the haves — not mainly in this age, but in the new creation to come. Do you believe you can experience this truth today in your own life?
The gospel of Jesus Christ is filled with paradoxes. Many of God’s directions appear to be contrary to logic and reason. On the surface, they appear to have the opposite effect of the promised result. In this retreat, we explore a few of these gospel paradoxes that are relevant to the current COVID-19 pandemic situation:
The Hope in Insecurity
The Confidence in Uncertainty
The Light in Darkness
The Fullness in Emptiness
The Liberation in Loss
The Noise within the Silence
The paradoxes that seem to undermine belief are actually the heart of our vibrant faith, and that it’s only by continually wrestling with them—rather than trying to pin them down or push them away—that we can really worship God, individually and together.
“. . . We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything." 1 Cor. 6:8-10
The retreat content and flow are detailed, clear, and simple to use and follow even if this is your first time doing a silent retreat. The handouts will include the retreat schedule, suggested flow of the retreat, retreat notes with reflection questions, spiritual exercises, and possible creative activities to try out. The liturgy for morning and evening prayer will also be provided with written prayers and worship or prayer songs with the YouTube link.
1. A Retreat Personal Guide Handout will also provide details on what to expect in a retreat, how to prepare yourself for the retreat, how to spend your time during the retreat, and how to integrate the retreat experience into your daily life. This can be used as your guide for any future quiet retreat on your own.
2. The daily Spiritual Direction sessions will be scheduled and the time slot made available to you once it is ready. The Spiritual Direction sessions of 30 minutes each day will be conducted via Zoom.
3. There will be a short pre-retreat briefing via Zoom (date to be confirmed) for question and answer (also to test out your online capability if this is the first time you are using Zoom). Of course, you will need to download the free version of Zoom to participate in the sessions if you do not have the app.
4. The retreat notes and handouts for the actual retreat will be given a few days prior to the retreat so that you can make a hard copy for yourself as a reference if you desire.
5. Suggested Retreat Schedule (subject to changes)
Day 1 & 2
8:30 | Morning Prayer (refer to handout)
9:00 | Retreat Introduction and Meditation*
10:00 | Personal quiet reflection on the retreat notes and questions
12:00 | Lunch and Rest
2:00 | Personal quiet reflection time on the retreat notes and questions
4:30 | Try out one of the Spiritual Exercises or Creative Activity
5:30 | Rest
6:30 | Dinner
8:00 | Evening Prayer (refer to handout)
Guide for Prayer Examen
9:00 | “When I remember thee upon my bed, I meditate on thee in the night-watches: … I have remembered your name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept your law." Ps.63
8:30 | Morning Prayer (refer to handout)
9:00 | Final Retreat Meditation*
9.30 | Retreat Integration
Refer to Retreat Preparation Handout
11.00 | Returning to Routine (Retreat Narratives)
Liturgy and Prayer for returning (refer to handout)
12:30 | Retreat Closure
* connote our sessions together via Zoom – the rest of the time you are doing on your own
Registration close on 12 June 2020 or when places are full. If you are interested please fill-up the attached registration form and email it back to email@example.com. A non-refundable retreat fee of $70 (with two Spiritual Direction sessions) is required as confirmation of your registration.